Daniel Keim, head of the Information Visualization and Data Analysis Research Group at the University of Konstanz in Germany, has dedicated more than 20 years to visual analytics research and policy. He speaks about how data visualization helps people take control of the analytical process, as well as the transcendent power of graphs as a communication tool.
On the table for discussion:
- The importance of innovations in time series analysis to industry and research.
- The mission of VisMaster, a European Coordination Action project.
- Integrating visual literacy into the university curriculum.
- The potential of data visualization for crisis response and prevention.
- Automated versus interactive visual analysis techniques.
Expertise: data visualization, exploratory data analysis, high-dimensional data analysis, visualization of large data bases, time series analysis