Kaiser Fung, author of Numbers Rule Your World, talks about the hidden influence of facts and figures on everything we do and how an understanding of key statistical concepts can help us make decisions based on evidence. Fung touches on the importance of statistical literacy, particularly when it comes to data and graphics in mass media and communicating about data in a business setting. His blog, Junk Charts, pioneered the critical examination of data and graphics in the mass media.
On the table for discussion:
- The graphical representation of data in the news media.
- The role of discovery in predictive analytics.
- Data and policy makers.
- Is data science different from statistics?
- New insights on hiring analytic talent.
- Breaking the perceived barrier between statisticians and executives.
- His upcoming book.
Expertise: data and graphics in the mass media, statistical methods in marketing and advertising, advanced analytics