Knowledge Base & FAQs
The JMP Knowledge Base (aka JMP Notes) contains information on known problems (Problem Notes) associated with the software, common user errors, undocumented features, and circumventions and fixes for problems. It also contains Frequently Asked Questions (Usage Notes) about JMP software features and how to perform various statistics.
To search on a general topic, type a query in the search fields below.
Frequently Used Links for Samples & JMP Notes
- General FAQs
- Statistical FAQs
- DOE FAQs
- What is the latest version of JMP?
- What languages are supported in JMP software?
- What versions of JMP software are supported by Technical Support?
- How do I report a problem I am having with JMP?
- How can I obtain maintenance upgrades to JMP software?
- How do I locate my JMP registration or site license number?
- What operating systems does JMP support?
- Where are the JMP data tables described in the Categorical chapter of the JMP Statistics and Graphics Guide, Version 7?
- Can I use JMP software to open data from Excel 2007?
- Can I use JMP software to export a SAS data set?
- How can I convert Minitab files to JMP files?
- I am trying to import a delimited text file with column headings into JMP, but JMP is not creating my columns correctly.
- Can I use JMP software to open StatView files?
- What is the largest table size that JMP can handle?
- How can I subset a data table based on a column's value?
- I want my numeric data column to have a modeling type of Continuous, but it is grayed out from the pop-up menu. What can I do?
- How can I get my JMP results into another application?
- Is there a way to format graphs automatically so that they fit on a single page when printing, or can I select which graphs will appear side by side?
- How do I remove points from a graph?
- How do I get my labels to appear on a graph?
Scripting and Automation
- Is there a student version of JMP software?
- Where are the JMP data tables used in the JMP Start Statistics book located?
- ...perform <some_statistic_or_method>?
- ...perform a Gage Repeatability and Reliability (Gage R&R) analysis?
- ...perform a multinomial logit analysis in JMP?
- ...perform a one-way analysis of variance with only summary data in JMP Software?
- ...get Cronbach’s coefficient alpha from JMP?
- ...get discriminant function scores or function coefficients?
- ...get a Receiver Operating Characteristic (ROC) curve in JMP?
- ...get the process capability index CPK?
- ...get Fisher's Exact test?
- ...get a pdf plot?
- ...get the kurtosis and skewness?
- ...get Geisser-Greenhouse and Huynth-Feldt adjusted F-tests?
- ...get the medians for BY-groups?
- ...get the Mann-Whitney U Test in JMP?
- ...get standardized regression coefficients?
- ...calculate a geometric mean?
- ...test if my data are coming from the "XYZ" distribution?
- ...test for equal variances in my groups?
- ...generate multivariate normal data within JMP?
- ...perform a paired t-test?
- ...interpret the saved spline coefficients table?
- ...interpret the odds ratios given from JMP?
- ...get an analysis using CODED or UNCODED effects?
- ...rank a column in my data table?
- ...standardize a column in my data table?
- ...get Squared Partial Correlation Coefficients and/or Squared Semi-partial Correlation Coefficients in JMP?
- ...interpret the Shapiro-Wilk test for normality?
- ...change the level of the event that is modeled in JMP's logistic regression?
- ...test the difference in slope of several lines?
- ...determine when to stop splitting my tree to avoid overfitting?
- ...change the number of decimals displayed for the UCL, Average, and LCL in my control charts?
- ...create a two-way or multi-way ANOVA?
- ...create a design with a continuous factor that has more than 2 levels?
- ...the confidence limits calculated for the linearity study?
- ...control limits calculated for the different Shewhart control charts?
- ...the standard deviation calculated for different Shewhart control charts?
- ...control limits calculated for the different moving average control charts?
- ...the standard deviation calculated for the different moving average control charts?
- ...the crossvalidation statistics defined in Partition?
- I have nominal and ordinal variables, and I don't understand how JMP is performing the stepwise regression analysis. Is there any information on this?
- If I change my columns from ordinal to nominal or vice versa, my parameter estimates do not match. Why?
- My Nonlinear model isn't converging. Why?
- Why are the parameter estimates I see in JMP® different from the GLM procedure in SAS®?
- Why does JMP use the default option center polynomials and how does this compare with PROC GLM?
- When I run my model through the Fit Model platform, I get "LostDFs" notes in the Effect Test, and "Biased" and "Zeroed" parameter estimates. What is causing these messages?
- When fitting a model with random effects, are the effects tested correctly?
- When I run nominal or ordinal logistic regression in JMP, I receive parameter estimates labelled as "Unstable." What is causing these messages?
- When doing a Screening analysis via Fit Model, what are the "Orthog Coded" and "Orthog t-Test" columns displayed by Effect Screening from the checkmark menu? How are they used? How are they computed?
- What is the Specified Sigma option in capability analysis and how is the default value calculated?
- Why does JMP’s Brown-Forsythe test for homogeneity of variance differ from hand calculations, or other products’ results?
- How does JMP pick the initial cluster seeds in K-Means Clustering?
- When calculating power and sample size, what value should be placed in the error std deviation box?
- What value should I enter for Baseline Proportion in the Two Sample Proportions power and sample size window?