The materials linked below will be applicable to a course on research methods, including those found in marketing, business, psychology and the social sciences.
Textbooks to Supplement Your Instruction
Find textbooks that integrate JMP. Most books may be requested through publisher websites. Contact your publisher representative for more information.
Take a Deeper Dive on Select Topics
Provide step-by-step instructions and short videos to help your students learn how to do common statistical and graphical analyses in JMP.
Recommended books for this course
- Babin & Zikmund, Essentials of Marketing Research 6th edition
- Babin & Zikmund, Exploring Marketing Research 11th edition
- Lehman, O’Rourke, Hatcher & Stepanski, JMP for Basic Univariate and Multivariate Statistics: Methods for Researchers and Social Scientists, 2nd edition
- Paczkowski, Market Data Analysis using JMP
Instructors can request free evalution copies of textbooks from many publishers. Contact your publisher representative. For SAS Press books, request free instructor evaluation ebook copies here.
Recommended guides and videos
- Opening JMP and Getting Started
- Graph Builder
- Tabulating Data
- Mosaic Plot and Contingency Table
- Random Sampling and Random Data
- Sample Size and Power for One Sample Mean
- Sample Size and Power for Two Sample Means
- Bootstrapping in JMP Pro
- Randomization Testing in JMP Pro
- Two Sample t-Test and CIs
- Two Proportions Test and Confidence Interval
- Paired t-Test and CI
- One Way ANOVA
- Two-Way (Factorial) ANOVA
- Chi-Square Test for a Two-Way Table
- Sample Size and Power for One Sample Proportion
- Sample Size and Power for Two Proportions
- Simple Linear Regression
- Multiple Linear Regression
- Simple Logistic Regression
- Multiple Logistic Regression
- Stepwise Regression
- Principal Components Analysis
- Factor Analysis
- Discriminant Analysis
- Classification Trees (Partition)
- Regression Trees (Partition)
- Naive Bayes
- K Nearest Neighbors
- Neural Networks
- Support Vector Machines
- Support Vector Regression
- Creating a Validation Column (Holdout Sample)
- Model Comparison and Selection
- Text Mining - Describing Unstructured Text Data
- Text Mining - Analyzing Unstructured Text Data
- Association Analysis (Market Basket Analysis)
The complete collection of guides and videos can be found at the JMP Learning Library.
If you or your students are new to JMP, this is also a great place to start: JMP Basics
Recommended Case Studies
Case studies are designed to supplement and expand your students experience by providing real and realistic multi-step problem scenarios, accompanied by exercises at the end. These are carefully crafted to use methods that have been introduced up to and including the concepts listed in the summary. Solutions to exercises are available to instructors only by request at this link.
Descriptive and Exploratory
Explore webinars specifically designed for faculty & students
Live and on-demand webinars to expand your JMP knowledge. Topics span basics to advanced.
Data for Examples and Assignments
JMP comes with ~500 sample data sets included in the software, accessible through the JMP Help menu.
Applets and Add-Ins
Teaching Apps, Stats Calculators, & Extensions of JMP’s Capabilities
JMP’s teaching applets and calculators are ideal for illustrating and interactively exploring core statistical concepts and calculations. Add-ins extend JMP’s capabilities, opening up new possibilities in using JMP for teaching and learning.
Recommended Sample Data
There are many sample data sets to choose from in JMP, from Help > Sample Data (alphabetical list) or Help > Sample Data Library (indexed list by topic). There are many sample data sets to choose from in JMP, from Help > Sample Data (alphabetical list) or Help > Sample Data Library (indexed list by topic). Here are a few suggested examples for a course on Research Methods.
- Academic Achievement (SEM)
- Aircraft Incidents (Text)
- Body Fat (Correlation Matrix)
- Candy Bars (Cluster, Neural)
- Candy Survey (MaxDiff)
- Car Poll (Contingency, MCA, Partition)
- Cheese (Ordinal Logistic, Contingency)
- Chips (Text)
- Children's Polularity (Categorical and Logistic)
- Cholesterol (MANOVA)
- Coffee Data (Custom Design)
- Color Preference Survey (Categorical)
- Consumer Preferences (Categorical)
- Cytometry (Clustering)
- Danger (Multivariate)
- Employee Taste (MCA)
- Food Journal (Tree Map)
- Grocery Purchases (Association / Market Basket Analysis)
- Hair Care Product (Uplift)
- Job Satisfaction (SEM)
- Nicardipine (Text)
- Online Consumer Data (SEM)
- Pizza (Choice)
- Potato Chip (MaxDiff)
- Political Democracy (SEM)
- Prostate Cancer (Clustering, PLS)
- San Francisco Crime Distances (Multidimensional Scaling)
- Scores (Multivariate)
- Socioeconomic (Factor Analysis)
- Wine Data (Custom Design)
- Wine Sensory Data (Multiple Factor Analysis)
Student Menu: Easily access JMP’s teaching and learning tools via a dedicated menu item. This add-in brings the JMP Student Subscription’s Student menu to JMP and JMP Pro.
Preferences Manager: Create and manage preferences profiles, including creating a file that students can use to automatically set their JMP preferences for your course.
Word Importer: Expand JMP’s data importing capabilities to include text, tables, and images from Microsoft Word docs.
PPT Importer: Expand JMP’s data importing capabilities to include text and tables from Microsoft PowerPoint slides.
Calculate Effect Sizes: Calculate effect size measures that may be used in your discipline but are not calculated by JMP: eta squared, partial eta squared, omega squared, and Cohen’s d.
GLMM: Expand JMP’s linear modeling capabilities to include Generalized Linear Mixed Models. (Note: Built-in GLMM capabilities are coming in JMP Pro 17.)
Full factorial repeated measures: Eliminate confusion or error in specifying repeated measures model terms with this specialized Fit Model dialog for analysis of full factorial repeated measures designs.
Full Course Materials
Course Materials from JMP Education
“JMP course-in-a-box” provides complimentary JMP teaching materials. Includes classroom materials, data sets, slides and more. These are all available for download to qualified instructors.
Self-paced learning available 24/7
Full length on-demand courses from JMP Education cover a variety of topics and include activities, demos and exercises. Short instructor videos can supplement your course materials to create a flipped classroom.
Recommended eLearning Courses from SAS Education
Students and Professors can enroll in eLearning courses at no cost with a campus or department annual site license to JMP.
Asynchronous eLearning courses are listed in the eLearning catalog, including:
- Several relevant modules from the free course Statistical Thinking in Industrial Problem Solving
Check the calendar of upcoming Live Web courses, including these topics:
- JMP® Software: Analyzing and Modeling Multidimensional Data
- JMP® Software: Modeling Multidimensional Data
- JMP® Software: Finding Important Predictors
- Predictive Modeling Using JMP® Pro
- JMP® Pro Software: Exploring and Analyzing Patterns in Text Data
- JMP® Software: Analyzing Discrete Responses
- JMP® Software: ANOVA and Regression
- Market Data Analysis Using JMP®