The Judgment Calls We Make in Dashboard Design
With Nick Desbarats
We create charts so that a large amount of information can be consumed quickly. To do so, we make many judgment calls about what to include. Information dashboard expert Nick Desbarats encourages us to recognize the subjective nature of creating data visualizations. Instead of striving for “neutral” or “unbiased” charts, he says we should strive to communicate our best, most honest understanding of the data underlying the chart and design for utility. What will be the most helpful format for sharing insights with your audience?
In this video:
- Choices change how people perceive the underlying data.
- The anatomy of a friendlier dot plot.
- Increasing graphical literacy.
- Some confusion and controversy in dashboard design.
- A taxonomy for information displays.