Mission-critical advanced statistics for the defense community
Demystifying Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence for the Defense Community
Recent guidance from the Department of Defense outlines an artificial intelligence (AI) strategy, which includes delivering AI to key missions, cultivating a cutting-edge workforce, and leading in military ethics and AI safety.
Dr. Laura Freeman, Director of the Intelligent Systems Lab at Virginia Tech’s Hume Center for National Security and Technology, explains how the concept of statistical thinking can provide a framework for the defense community to use machine learning and AI in a way that is secure, resilient, transparent and explainable.
Watch to learn more about:
- Why it is critical to figure out how to use machine learning and AI algorithms effectively.
- A baseline understanding of AI.
- How statistical thinking and statistical engineering are important frameworks for demystifying these advanced methods.
- A few real research problems and how statistics can help solve them.
Learn about machine learning and artificial intelligence, and their synergies with structured experimentation
You’ve heard the buzzwords, which are widely considered to be mission-critical for the defense community. But what do they mean and how can we apply them effectively?
Watch this panel for examples and stories about why ML and AI techniques, in combination with best practices in data visualization and design of experiments for both real and computer-generated data, are game changers. Panelists talk about why it’s important to try to understand the black box of ML and AI algorithms, appreciate data quality, and use a variety of methods and perspectives for solving the most pressing problems.
You’ll hear from:
- Laura Freeman, Director, Intelligent Systems Lab, Hume Center for National Security and Technology, Virginia Tech
- Raymond R. Hill Jr., Professor of Operations Research, Department of Operational Sciences, Air Force Institute of Technology
- James Wisnowski, Co-Founder and Principal Consultant, Adsurgo