Introductory Statistics for Business and Economics
The materials linked below will be applicable to a one or two semester course in introductory business statistics, covering data exploration, distributions, simple tests and CIs of proportions and means, one-way ANOVA, regression, and partition.
Textbooks to Supplement Your Instruction
Find textbooks that integrate JMP. Most books may be requested through publisher websites. Contact your publisher representative for more information.
Take a Deeper Dive on Select Topics
Provide step-by-step instructions and short videos to help your students learn how to do common statistical and graphical analyses in JMP.
JMP® Case Study Library
Assign real-world problems for class projects or homework. These case studies are complete with background information, tasks, data, exercises, and more.
Recommended books for this course
- Alwan, Criag, McCabe, The Practice of Statistics for Business and Economics 5th edition
- Anderson, Sweeney, Williams, Camm, Cochran, Fry & Ohlmann, Essentials of Statistics for Business and Economics 9th edition
- Anderson, Sweeney, Williams, Camm, Cochran, Fry & Ohlmann, Statistics for Business & Economics 14th edition
- Berenson, Levine, Szabat & Stephan, Basic Business Statistics 14th edition
- Borra & DiCiaccio, Statistica: Metodologie Per Le Scienze Economiche E Sociali 3rd edition (Italian)
- Bowerman, Drougas, Duckworth, Froelich, Hummel, Moninger & Schur, Business Statistics and Analytics in Practice 9th edition
- Fraser, Business Statistics for Competitive Advantage with Excel 2019 and JMP
- Hinrichs, Boiler & Walsh, JMP Essentials: An Illustrated Guide for New Users 3rd edition
- Stine & Foster, Statistics for Business: Decision Making and Analysis, 3rd Edition
Recommended guides and videos
- Opening JMP and Getting Started
- Bar Charts and Frequency Distributions
- Histograms, Descriptive Stats and Stem and Leaf
- Pareto Plots and Pie Charts
- Dot Plots
- Box Plots
- Mosaic Plot and Contingency Table
- Graph Builder
- Mapping in Graph Builder
- Tabulating Data
- Assessing Normality
- Fitting Distributions
- Finding Standardized Values (z-Scores)
- Hypothesis Test and CI for Proportions
- Chi-Square Test for a Two-Way Table
- Sample Size and Power for One Sample Proportion
- Sample Size and Power for Two Proportions
- Sample Size and Power for One Sample Mean
- Sample Size and Power for Two Sample Means
- One Sample t-Test and CI
- Two Sample t-Test and CIs
- Two Proportions Test and Confidence Interval
- Paired t-Test and CI
- One Way ANOVA
- Nonparametric Tests
- Bootstrapping in JMP Pro
- Randomization Testing in JMP Pro
- Simple Linear Regression
- Multiple Linear Regression
- Stepwise Regression
- Classification Trees (Partition)
- Regression Trees (Partition)
- ARIMA Modeling
- Time Series Smoothing Methods
- Time Series Forecasting
The complete collection of guides and videos can be found at the JMP Learning Library.
If you or your students are new to JMP, this is also a great place to start: JMP Basics
Recommended Case Studies
Case studies are designed to supplement and expand your students experience by providing real and realistic multi-step problem scenarios, accompanied by exercises at the end. These are carefully crafted to use methods that have been introduced up to and including the concepts listed in the summary. Solutions to exercises are available to instructors only by request at this link.
Descriptive and Exploratory
Inference for Means
Inference for Proportions
Multiple Linear Regression
Introductory JMP Lab Activities
Hands-on lab activities covering key statistical concepts and JMP software features. Topics include Exploring Data, Probability and Sampling Distributions, Confidence Intervals, Hypothesis Tests, and Regression.
Applets and Add-Ins
Teaching Apps & Basic Stats Calculators
Simple applets provide everything you need to illustrate core statistical concepts. You can also use built-in calculators for confidence intervals, hypothesis tests, and sample size for means and proportions.
Data for Examples and Assignments
JMP comes with ~500 sample data sets included in the software, accessible through the JMP Help menu.
Student Menu: Easily access JMP’s teaching and learning tools via a dedicated menu item. This add-in brings the JMP Student Subscription’s Student menu to JMP and JMP Pro.
Preferences Manager: Create and manage preferences profiles, including creating a file that students can use to automatically set their JMP preferences for your course.
Word Importer: Expand JMP’s data importing capabilities to include text, tables, and images from Microsoft Word docs.
PPT Importer: Expand JMP’s data importing capabilities to include text and tables from Microsoft PowerPoint slides.
Recommended Sample Data
There are many sample data sets to choose from in JMP, from Help > Sample Data (alphabetical list) or Help > Sample Data Library (indexed list by topic). In addition to the data sets listed on the General Introductory Statistics course page, here are a few business-themed examples.
- Grandfather Clocks
- Levi Strauss Run Up
- Presidential Elections
- Stock Prices
- Tech Stock
- Working Women
- XYZ Stock Averages
Explore webinars specifically designed for faculty & students
Live and on-demand webinars to expand your JMP knowledge. Topics span basics to advanced, including webinars on getting started tips, common statistical methods, data visualization and graphics, and more.
Full Course Materials
Course Materials from SAS Education
“JMP course-in-a-box” provides complimentary JMP teaching materials from SAS. Includes classroom materials, data sets, slides and more. These are all available for download to qualified instructors.
Self-paced learning available 24/7
Full length e-courses from JMP and SAS Education cover a variety of topics and include activities, demos and exercises. Short instructor videos can supplement your course materials to create a flipped classroom.
Recommended Course Materials from SAS Education
Materials accompanying JMP e-Learning Courses from SAS
- JMP Software: A Case Study Approach to Data Exploration
- JMP Software: ANOVA and Regression
- JMP Software: Data Exploration (Classic)
Materials accompanying JMP Classroom Courses from SAS
Recommended eLearning Courses from SAS Education
Students and Professors can enroll in these courses at no cost with a campus or department annual site license to JMP.