The Key to Good Graphs
With Howard Wainer
Howard Wainer was a student of John Tukey and has applied statistical thinking to wide-ranging problems in the areas of medicine and education. He is an expert in statistics and data visualization, and he communicates about both topics in a clear and approachable manner. He talks about creating graphs with your audience in mind and the importance of using words rather than math to talk about statistics.
In this video:
- What it was like to be a student of John Tukey.
- Thinking like a statistician – and why you’ll never go back once you start.
- Turning weakly good graphs into strongly good graphs.
- Why it doesn’t pay to get results before you’re ready.
- How to tell better stories with data.
We also recommend
- Best Practices in Data VisualizationDoes your graph need a makeover? Listen in to find out techniques for creating an effective graph. Even the simplest data set can be transformed into a compelling case study.
- Going Beyond Spreadsheet Analytics With Visual Data DiscoveryHow do you uncover the information you miss by using spreadsheets alone? This case study will explain how to augment your existing tools and processes for exploratory data analysis to see what you may have been missing.