Data Access and the Future of Statistics
With Ulrich Rendtel
As an active member of the German Council of Social and Economic Data and a consultant on the 2011 German census, Prof. Ulrich Rendtel says the treatment of confidentiality in official statistics is worst-case thinking. It keeps scientists and researchers from being able to make discoveries and creates inefficiencies. He also advocates for interactive software for learning statistics and keeping an open mind to the perspectives of both the statistics and machine learning communities.
In this video:
- Reactions to the title “data scientist.”
- Finding the right software for teaching undergraduate statistics.
- How graphics can support – or discredit – a theory.
- The benefits of playing with your data.
- Why statisticians are not highly regarded around the world.