David Hand, author of The Improbability Principle, calls statisticians the modern equivalent of Victorian explorers. They are there when the discoveries are made. As a result, statisticians are indispensable members of scientific teams across many disciplines.
On the table for discussion:
- The advancement of statistics with new applications, bigger data storage and better data capture technology.
- Why statistics is a language, rather than a set of isolated concepts and methods.
- The importance of understanding the problem before making statistical choices.
- Natural data versus human-generated data.
- The dangers of selection bias.
Expertise: statistics, data mining, fraud detection and risk