Statistical Genetics and Genomics
The materials linked below will be applicable to a course in statistical genomics.
Take a Deeper Dive on Select Topics
Provide step-by-step instructions and short videos to help your students learn how to do common statistical and graphical analyses in JMP.
Explore webinars specifically designed for faculty & students
Live and on-demand webinars to expand your JMP knowledge. Topics span basics to advanced.
Instructions, Examples, and More
Resources to Aid Your Learning
Find blog posts, worked examples, and many resources to help you use JMP Genomics.
Applets and Add-Ins
Teaching Apps, Stats Calculators, & Extensions of JMP’s Capabilities
JMP’s teaching applets and calculators are ideal for illustrating and interactively exploring core statistical concepts and calculations. Add-ins extend JMP’s capabilities, opening up new possibilities in using JMP for teaching and learning.
Recommended guides and videos
- JMP Tools
- JMP Tables Menu
- Saving JMP Results
- Saving Publication Quality Graphics with JMP
- Graph Builder
- Tabulating Data
- Chi-Square Test for a Two-Way Table
- Sample Size and Power for One Sample Proportion
- Sample Size and Power for Two Proportions
- Sample Size and Power for One Sample Mean
- Sample Size and Power for Two Sample Means
- One Way ANOVA
- Bootstrapping in JMP Pro
- Simple Linear Regression
Using the JMP Genomics Processes:
- Genetic Association with JMP Genomics Blog Series: NEW!
- Expression Analysis with JMP Genomics Blog Series: NEW!
- Cross Evaluation and Progeny Simulation with JMP Genomics Blog Series: NEW!
- Step-by-Step Guide for Genetics QK Modeling #1: K Matrix and Relatedness Measures
- Step-by-Step Guide for Genetics QK Modeling #2: Population Structure PCA
- Step-by-Step Guide for Genetics QK Modeling #3: Association Analysis
- Step-by-Step Guide for Genetics QK Modeling #4: Using a Workflow
- Step-by-Step Guide for Genetics QK Modeling #5: K Matrix Compression
- Step-by-Step Guide for Expression #1: Importing and Transposing
- Step-by-Step Guide for Expression #2: Predictive Modeling with Cross-Validation and Model Comparison for Model Selection
- Step-by-Step Guide for Expression #3: Learning Curves (AR) to Determine Number of Samples Needed
- Step-by-Step Guide for Expression #4: Subset Data and Create a Test Set
- Step-by-Step Guide for Expression #5: Final Model Fit and Performance on Test Set
Recommended books for this course
- Jeremy Newman, University of Florida: PCA Teaching Guide
- Departamento Estatística, Universidade Federal de Lavras: Tutorial on Linkage and QTL Mapping, GWAS, and Genomics Prediction Analysis
Other Resources for Teaching and Using JMP Genomics
- Description of Core Capabilities, plus Corresponding Resources
- Customer Stories
- Research Citations Using JMP Genomics
Specific Topic Resources
- Slides from "Overview of JMP Life Sciences Solutions" at JSM 2019 Technology Workshop
- JMP Genomics for Crop Improvement - Overview of Features
- JMP Blog: The Traveling Salesman Traverses the Plant Genome
- Using SAS Optimization in JMP Genomics to build Genetic Maps
Documentation and Help
Recommended Academic Webinars
- JMP Basics for Professors and Students
- An Overview of JMP Genomics: Expression, GWAS, and Plant Breeding
- Running and Interpreting a Basic Expression Analysis
- Getting Started with JMP Genomics: Overview of Studies, Import, and Workflows
- Getting Started with JMP Genomics: Creating the EDF and Importing SAM and BAM Files
- JMP Genomics: Move or Share Results
- Genomic Selection for Plant Breeding
- Modern Genomic Crop Improvement
Student Menu: Easily access JMP’s teaching and learning tools via a dedicated menu item. This add-in brings the JMP Student Subscription’s Student menu to JMP and JMP Pro.
Preferences Manager: Create and manage preferences profiles, including creating a file that students can use to automatically set their JMP preferences for your course.
Word Importer: Expand JMP’s data importing capabilities to include text, tables, and images from Microsoft Word docs.
PPT Importer: Expand JMP’s data importing capabilities to include text and tables from Microsoft PowerPoint slides.
BIOM Importer: Expand JMP’s data importing capabilities with this add-in for reading Operational Taxonomic Units (OTU) tables in Biological Observation Matrix (BIOM) format.
XGBoost: Expand JMP Pro’s machine learning capabilities to include extreme gradient boosted trees from the popular XGBoost open-source library.